Shopping for a used Craftsman riding mower shouldn’t be a huge ordeal and it shouldn’t cost you an arm and a leg either. Here you’ll find our detailed, up-to-date list of machines that are available for just a fraction of the price that retailers are charging for new Craftsman riding mowers.
Are you in the market for a used Craftsman riding mower, but aren’t completely sure of which model to buy and how to go about getting the best deal? Don’t worry; you’re in the right place. In this helpful buyers’ guide, we’re going to talk a little bit about choosing the perfect Craftsman mower for your individual lawn care needs, as well as how to make sure you’re getting a great price on a riding mower that will last for many mowing seasons to come.
Why Buy a Used Craftsman Riding Mower?
First things first, Craftsman is one of the most reliable names in lawn care equipment, and has been for many decades. Over the years they’ve gained a reputation for delivering high-quality used riding lawn mowers at a price much less than many other comparable brands. Not only do they last and provide great value, but Craftsman mowers are also cheap and easy to repair if they do run into issues; parts are widely distributed and easy to find.
Is a Craftsman Mower Right for Me?
In most cases, there are three primary reasons why someone chooses to purchase a used Craftsman riding mower:
- They have a large property which needs to be mowed on a regular basis and using a push mower simply isn’t practical for such a vast lawn.
- Physical ailments or terrain make it difficult or impossible for the buyer to stand and push a walk-behind lawn mower.
- They own a lawn care business and need to cover as much ground as quickly as possible on a daily basis.
If you fit into any of these categories (or maybe even more than one), then a Craftsman mower is probably a good investment for you.
Which Used Craftsman to Buy?
Craftsman mowers come in a wide range of different engine and mowing deck configurations, and choosing the proper one can sometimes be tricky. If you get too small of a mower you’ll find yourself doing much more work than you should in order to keep your lawn trim. If you get too powerful of a mower you can wind up wasting hundreds of even thousands of dollars too much on a piece of equipment you can’t fully use to the extent of its abilities. As such, it’s important that you narrow down the selection to top three used lawn mowers.
- Deck Size – The majority of used Craftsman riding mowers will come with a 42” mowing deck. That’s the standard for home use because it allows you to cover a three-and-a-half foot wide area with each pass while still allowing the flexibility and maneuverability needed for most residential lawns. For larger properties or more intensive uses, there is also a 54” inch version available to maximum cutting width.
- Engine Size – From 19HP Briggs & Stratton powertrains to powerful 24HP Kohler engines, you’ll find a wide assortment of different blocks powering Craftsman mowers. Which do you need? That will primarily depend on your intended usage. You can rest assured knowing that every engine that Craftsman puts into their lawn mowers is quality and meant to last, so there’s no reason to lose sleep over that. The main difference is going to be how fast you want your used Craftsman riding mower to go – are you okay as a steady pace or do you need a little bit more power to get through large lawns or difficult terrain quickly?